Nodding

If it doesn't fit the other categories - post it here.

Moderator: Managers

Nodding

Postby Ol Turbs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I know this topic was debated a good while ago on the forum but I just wondered weather members still do ?
Did 200 mile round trip today on the Cx and past lots of bikes back and forth along the M20 and M25 as we made our way to visit Delboy in watford and I couldn't help notice that most bikers no longer acknowledged the nod of the head to each other as we pass by but oddly new bikers on 125's on L plates regularly do around towns and country roads ? What's your view! Do you still nod as you past your fellow bikers ?
Turbs :wink:
1977 CX 500z
1979 CBX1000z
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
SOUTH EAST AREA REP
"IT DONT MEAN A THING IF IT AINT GOT THAT SWING" Duke Ellington 1938
Ol Turbs

Given name: Lance

Re: Nodding

Postby yoda » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I always nod or wave and mostly it’s reciprocated. The only bikers who definitely won’t nod are the MC. They’re too hard to nod.
yoda

Postby Marty » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

"The MC"? What's that Yoda? When riding in France the riders over there pretty much all wave but that's partly because they drive on the right so you can use your clutch hand to wave without throttling off. The cool dudes just nonchalantly use the V sign pointed at the white lines in the middle of the road. (Probably be the V sign upright if they realised you were British!).
What gets me really disappointed is when a bike overtskes you like on a motorway or duel carriage way and they don't even acknowledge then.
The older I get, the more I realise I don't know.
Marty

Postby Ol Turbs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 pm

yoda wrote:I always nod or wave and mostly it’s reciprocated. The only bikers who definitely won’t nod are the MC. They’re too hard to nod.

MC !!
What’s the MC yoda
Best regards
Ol Turbs

Postby Richard W » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Its a dying act of courtesy, like so many other things.

Lately, I usually get surprised when some DOES indicate. There are also those privileged few who believe that double yellows are actually there for everyone else, but not them. Sounds a bit like 'taxes are only for the little people' I am never shocked by how low people can sink when they think no one is looking and in this dog eat dog society, it will only go downhill.

Next time you nod at a biker and they do not return the gesture, just comfort yourself with the thought that YOU are doing the right thing and HE/SHE isn't worth losing any sleep over.

It is their loss ………..

Ride safe
Richard
Richard W

Postby Irideforlife » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Very few nod on opposite side of motorway which I kinda understand. Busy Sundays there can be to many bikes. That I get too.
I always nod but lots don't. Especially bmw's.
Irideforlife

Postby yoda » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Sorry Guys,
MC is a back patch bike club.
We have a variety of them here in Ireland. The Freewheelers, Road Tranps, there is even a chapter of Hell’s Angels.

They don’t wave.
yoda

Postby Irideforlife » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Had bad experience with them on way to Calais from Belgium. Blocked the motorway. Slowed traffic to 40. Boxed in cars joining from slip roads. Stopped me from passing. Shit riding. Shit behaviour. And gave uk bikers a bad name in France.
Irideforlife

Postby Samnav2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 am

On the continent back in the seventies there used to be large groups (30 to 50) of German bikers on BMW's dressed similar to Hell's Angels but with helmets like German army helmets. These guys always gave the V sign with the palm of the hand facing forward which means peace as opposed to the reverse which we all know the meaning of. If you were overtaken they would dangle their right leg off the peg. All seemed OK to me.
Things have changed over here where not many bikers wave anymore, probably not cool enough for the sports bike riders.
Colin
CX 500A
BMW R1100RT
Samnav2

Location: Brierley Hill, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Given name: Colin

Postby gunna trev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 am

Up here in yorkshire i would say 90 % still nod unless there on a goldwing
gunna trev

Postby Ol Turbs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm

I ride a Goldwing Trev and they always wave back irrespective of which bike I'm on at the time but there's another big twin manufacturer who's riders seem to be the most notable non wavers down here. But I agree with the earlier posting that it's probably down to lack of courtesy these days ,nothing stays the same :wink:
1977 CX 500z
1979 CBX1000z
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
SOUTH EAST AREA REP
"IT DONT MEAN A THING IF IT AINT GOT THAT SWING" Duke Ellington 1938
Ol Turbs

Postby gunna trev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Ol Turbs wrote:I ride a Goldwing Trev and they always wave back irrespective of which bike I'm on at the time but there's another big twin manufacturer who's riders seem to be the most notable non wavers down here. But I agree with the earlier posting that it's probably down to lack of courtesy these days ,nothing stays the same :wink:

You must the exception lance i was once passing a load on the way to a rally and not one made any effort to nod
gunna trev

Postby Irideforlife » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 pm

I ride a goldwing and I always wave or nod
Irideforlife

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I would say I get a nod from well over half riders I pass, just been over to Holland and got a wave or the leg out from 100% of the riders there, and cars / lorries let you filter by moving over
North East Rep

"Ride thinking that everybody around you is trying to kill you"

1980 CX500A
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion
Honda AFS Wave 110i
Honda CBF600SA
Geoff

Return to General

Share |