2018 National Rally 18th, 19th & 20th May

This is for pleas for help to help locate that elusive part the you need to get your bike back on the road or through MOT

Moderator: Managers

Re: 2018 National Rally 18th, 19th & 20th May

Postby ericry » Wed May 23, 2018 2:05 pm

No, no issues this time Pete, had the 500 euro with me !

Eric.
'82 & '83 CX500 Euro's, '83 CX650c, '09 Buell XB12XT, '02 Beta Alp 200
ericry

Given name: Eric

Postby Marty » Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Well after months of build-up the National Rally came and went in a flash. It’s seems to be the general consensus it was one of the best in a long time. This is based on the weather (of course) but also the general atmosphere pervading throughout the weekend. We had 32 who booked and stayed for the whole weekend with 3 others who could only make 1 night or just a day visitor. One day visitor who should be mentioned for his dedication is Andy Geelan. He ( because of being nobbled by his family ) could only do the Saturday, but none the less drove all the way up from London to Burnley, spent the day with us; had dinner then drove all the way home again that evening. Excellent commitment Andy and many thanks.

We also had Tim Moore who despite a nasty oil leak and AA roadside assistance managed to get from Suffolk ? to Burnley yet again, making him the only member ( we believe) who has attended every single National rally of the 17 so far. For this he received a massively oversize tee shirt and certificate of recognition.
From much further afield we had our two German CX friends Fritz and Myriam who unfortunately had to come by car because of a biking accident Myriam had not long ago which injured her leg.
Myriam and Fritz
This year for the first time we had raffle prizes which included donations by the club itself. Namely 4 x £25 Dave Silver vouchers, 1 x Dave Silver book personally signed by him plus a full set of new stainless coolant pipes for any CX / GL engine. This new arrangement brought forth extra generosity from the members present who bought £186.00 worth of tickets which is nearly 60% more per person than previous years. Who won ? Pete Jeavons got the coolant pipes with Howard Coop scooping 3 of the £25.00 vouchers. It was decided the members this money should go to the NW wing of the charity “Blood Bikes”

Again, for the first time, we had a guest speaker in the form of Pete Jeavons who regaled us with photos and a talk about his and
Rogers ( plus 3 others) 3 week trip to Nord Cap several years ago.It was fascinating to hear and something of a theme to continue for future National Rallies. Many thanks Peter.
Trevor after he’d just been reminded it was his round……

Jim and his son plus others led the 5 hour ride out on Saturday morning which, although I was unable to go, was wonderful by all the accounts, so yet again, loads of thanks to Jim and his little helpers for organising and leading that.

The Saturday night dinner awards is being written up by John Mac elsewhere so I’ll leave that to him
Dave French receiving a certificate for his services to club and particularly the web site plus his sartorial elegance.

Finally, there was a meeting on Saturday afternoon with the Senior Managers and club members which lasted nearly 2 hours. I’m delighted to say that despite some trepidation it was a very successful meeting of minds and much information exchanged such the cub accounts and report from the social secretary. This information will be presented on another posting elsewhere and a bit later on. There will also be requests for feedback from all members about next years rally where we’re thinking a breaking the mould but more on that soon.
I couldn’t finish off this report without acknowledging the great work done by John Mac, Rod Birtles and Jim in making it such
a great and memorable event.

Fritz & John

No easy task. Having said that, any rally is only as good as the people who bother to attend and make it what it is, so well done to all those 35+ people who made it ( and my) weekend so enjoyable

Rod taking a well earned rest.
The older I get, the more I realise I don't know.
Marty

Postby Ol Turbs » Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm

What a great success this rally was and how nice to see a rally write up after the event and with pictures too.i know I couldn't attend due to work commitments but this reminds me of the old days of the National and the build up to it on the forum and then all the pictures and stories posted after the event. Well done to the organizers and to those like Andy G coming all that way for a day( I can see a future award for that lol). And to my mate Tim for attending yet another National.Roll on the Next Rally in Devon I'm looking forward to seeing faces old and new and hoping the weather is as good as the National was.
Thanks for the write up and photos Marty :wink:
1977 CX 500z
1979 CBX1000z
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
SOUTH EAST AREA REP
"IT DONT MEAN A THING IF IT AINT GOT THAT SWING" Duke Ellington 1938
Ol Turbs

Given name: Lance

Postby ericry » Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks Marty, I've a couple of photos I took along the way too I'll try get them from my phone to my pc to imgbb or somewhere soon.

I know Dave French was taking pictures of the various prize winners on Sat night so hopefully he can stick up a few too.

Thanks.
Eric.
ericry

Postby ericry » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 am

ok, try this.....waiting to board the Fast Ferry to Holyhead from Dublin port......was disappointed with the setup and parking onboard. The bikes were at the front yet we had to wait for at least 2 rows of cars to move so we could get out (tight behind our back wheels)...the other boat we were always first off.

Eric
ericry

Postby ericry » Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am

Some more pics

On the ride out on the Sat we stopped at the Atom sculpture in the hills near Burnley

The weather was great

Some lovely views out the "portholes"

Managed to get a quick shot of the stop

And a stop for ice cream of course !

Our esteemed presenter from the Saturday night as well as Rodger and my travel companion on the way to and from the Rally - pictured here with Steph's bike "Rhonda" !

Great Rally !

Eric.
ericry

Postby Ol Turbs » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am

Great pictures Eric :wink:
1977 CX 500z
1979 CBX1000z
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
SOUTH EAST AREA REP
"IT DONT MEAN A THING IF IT AINT GOT THAT SWING" Duke Ellington 1938
Ol Turbs

Given name: Lance

Postby Andy Geelan » Sat May 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Hey folks,
I don't deserve any recognition just for turning up, our Rally is only once a year and planned well in advance so if you are truly interested in CXs +GLs and their enthusiastic owners then you will make the effort and meet up. That is what I think our club is all about. Well done to all who organised the rally and for picking a great location and to Peter for giving a presentation on motorcycling through Norway( sorry Peter that I did not stay to the end but it was a 4 hour drive back. There were some great pictures or the adventure, well done).
So nice to see our friends from Germany again this year, they should be thanked for making the effort and expense of attending as should members who came from Scotland, Ireland and from the SW corner of England.

Marty; We discussed the possibility of obtaining the gear change springs for GLs and CXs. They have just become available through CMSNL again and priced at 3 euros so its hardly worth stocking them at present.

Thanks, I hope to be at next years rally.

Andy.
"Its scrap Jim, but not as we know it!"
Andy Geelan

Postby ericry » Mon May 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the update Andy.

Correct, unless we can get items a lot cheaper than other places, or items that cant be got anywhere else, then it isnt worth our while tryng to compete, as well as adding extra work of looking after the shop, postage etc as well as tying up club funds in shop stock.

Eric.
ericry

Previous

Return to Items Wanted

Share |